There are different types of bikes out there. Each one of them is good for particular criteria. For example, beach bicycles have a unique design that makes them comfortable for casual riding. On the other hand, road bikes are better than hybrid bicycles if you are all about speed.
However, hybrid bikes are also pretty well-known for offering a reasonable speed. But in comparison, the road bikes can make you achieve a much higher speed on the roads.
That said, the real question is how much faster a road bike is than a hybrid? And what makes a road bike faster than a hybrid? These are the questions that we want to deal with in this article. So, if you like to feed your curious mind correctly, you would want to stick with us till the end.
What Makes Road Bikes Faster Than a Hybrid?
Each bike type is unique. The design, the components, and the riding style will all be different. And the same thing is applicable to road bikes. So, let us first explain what factors actually make road bicycles faster than a hybrid.
The most apparent reason why road bikes are faster is their weight. It is the key trait that can hugely affect the speed of a bicycle, especially when you are riding uphill. As a general rule, road bikes will not have heavier components and will not utilize heavier materials than the hybrids.
Hybrids will lean more on durability. For that reason, the construction material will usually be steel and aluminum. In comparison, the road bikes will be of carbon fiber composites. And that is why road bicycles are lighter than hybrid bikes.
The ability to transmit the power onto the pedals efficiently will highly depend on the stiffness of the bike. For the modern carbon fiber frames, the stiffness will be reasonably high. And as the stiffness to weight ratio is pretty high, the rider’s total power output is appropriately translated to the movement generation.
In comparison, the material of the hybrid bikes is comparatively supple. And that is why they do not allow an efficient power transmission, which results in a marginal amount of speed loss.
Aerodynamics and Geometry
Another factor that affects the speed of the bike is the geometry. The rider’s body mass will account for about 90 percent of the total aerodynamic drag in normal conditions. And the bike’s aerodynamics will be accountable for the rest of the 10 percent.
Now, in comparison, the road bikes will boast an aggressive overall geometry. They will have a reasonably shorter stack. Also, the geometry of the road bicycles will offer a longer reach. That will make the rider adopt a more stretched and lower position over the bike. As a result, you will get more speed on these bikes.
The bars are the most apparent visual difference between a hybrid bike and a road bike. In comparison, the road bicycles will come with drop bars. These are usually lower, narrower, and will allow the rider to tuck their shoulders and arms. And the hybrids will come with flat bars. They focus more on comfort and control.
But the difference between the bars is not just for the looks and the riding position. It highly influences the overall aerodynamics of the bike, which, as you know, will affect the overall speed of the bicycle.
How Much Faster Are Road Bikes Than Hybrids?
It goes without saying that the design of both bikes is different. The same thing goes for the components. Even if you turn the pedals with the same exact cadence, the speed difference between the gear ratios will be around 8.5 km/h. In other words, the road bikes will typically be 8.5 km/h faster than the hybrid bikes.
So, how much faster are road bikes than hybrids? Well, even if you ride them with the same force on the pedals, the road bicycles will be 8.5 km/h faster than the hybrids. For that reason, if you are all about gaining speed when riding, road bikes should be your go-to choice.